VACATION RENTALS IN TAHOE
This page will be updated as new information comes out for different ordinances around Lake Tahoe.
CITY OF SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, CA
NO vacation rentals are allowed
Click HERE for a map of what is considered the City of South Lake Tahoe.
In 2018, the City of South Lake Tahoe passed Measure T. Measure T was to ban all existing vacation rentals (under 30-days) by the end of 2021. As vacation rental permits expire in 2021, they will NOT be eligible for renewals. Rentals are still allowed in the City of South Lake Tahoe as long as they are 30-days+. Any rental over 30 days is considered a long-term rental.
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE (EL DORADO COUNTY), CA
CAP of permits & 500 ft. buffer
Click HERE for a map of what is considered the County of South Lake Tahoe. Currently the ordinance for vacation rentals in the unincorporated area of South Lake Tahoe is as follows:
– MAX allowed vacation rentals is 900 (cap has been reached) and about 95 homes currently on the waitlist.
– They are implementing a buffer zone around VHR’s to get rid of ‘clustering.’ There will be a 500 ft. buffer around vacation rentals, going into effect October 1, 2021.
– Click HERE for information on the buffer
– Click HERE for more information on the El Dorado County Vacation Rental Program.
DOUGLAS COUNTY, NV (TAHOE TOWNSHIP)
CAP of permits
Douglas County is located on the south and east shore of Lake Tahoe in Nevada. The ordinance is being changed and they are trying to figure out what works best for the County.
Currently the ordinance for vacation rentals in Douglas County is as follows:
- MAX allowed vacation rentals is 600.
- To get a VHR Permit, you must enter into a lottery system each year with a $100 application fee.
- Effective July 15, 2021, the owners of any property being advertised and/or operated as an unpermitted vacation home rental located anywhere within Douglas County is in violation Douglas County Code and the Nevada Revised Statutes shall be subject to a $20,000 civil penalty.
– SEE ATTACHED DOC for more information
WASHOE COUNTY, NV (INCLINE VILLAGE)
Limit of 1 permit per parcel
Washoe County is located on the northeast shore of Lake Tahoe in Nevada. Full enforcement of the new ordinance began August 1, 2021.
There is a limit of 1 VHR permit per parcel that limits permits to 1 ownership home and multi-family is not allowed. Duplexes, etc. are not allowed to have VHR permits.
Updated: 3/21/22 -
The occupant load shall be calculated as two (2) occupants for every legally permitted bedroom in accordance with Section 110.319.20(a)(1). The remainder of the home (excluding bedrooms) shall be calculated as one (1) occupant for every 200 square feet of habitable space in accordance with Table 1004.5 of the 2018 International Building Code (IBC) or the currently adopted edition.
PLACER COUNTY, CA (NEAR LAKE TAHOE AND TOWARDS TRUCKEE)
CAP of permits
Placer County is located on the northwest shore of Lake Tahoe in California.
There will be a cap of 3,900 permits allowed within Placer County. STR applications ARE NOT transferrable to new owners.
– Click HERE for more information on the Placer County Vacation Rental Program.
TOWN OF TRUCKEE, CA
CAP of permits
The Town of Truckee is located right off HWY 80. On the February 8, 2022 Town Council Meeting staff presented on the Short-Tern Rental program study and recommendations for ordinance updates. Council directed staff to develop an ordinance update including the following components:
– Cap STR registration certificates town-wide at the 1255.
– Phase out STRs in both multi-family units and Accessory Dwelling Units. This means that no new registration certificates will be issued for these types of units; current certificate holders will be permitted to renew.
– One year waiting period after a property sells before it is eligible to register as an STR.